Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Why is the room so hot?


To heat or not to heat the yoga room---good question. I teach both hot classes, 80-85 degrees at the WRAC and classes at WVC, where the room is set at 70 degrees.

I prefer a warm room. At 85 degrees I’m more relaxed. I’m more fluid and I don’t push myself so hard. I also feel better after class. In a 70-degree class I’m always a little worried about people getting cold and hurting themselves. I compensate for that by making sure we do stay warm by keeping the vinyasa going.

So I like what heat does for my muscles and my mind. I also like the feeling of letting go when I can sweat---it becomes a symbol of my intention to let go of what I’m holding on to.

Bikram is the king of hot with the room heated at 105 and up to 70% humidity. If you can stand it, it really does feel good. However, I personally find that when I sweat that much, by the time we are in the floor poses, my muscles need hydrating and I am less flexible.

Bikram says the benefits of heat are that the body is burning fat more effectively, your stretch is more fluid with a greater range of motion, and because you capillaries are dilated, you are more effectively oxygenating the body. He touts that your peripheral circulation is improved, like a fever you are fighting infection, and the sweat is detoxing your body and skin.

I’m unaware of any studies on the use of heat in yoga therapy but I’ll keep looking. To practice hot or not comes down to your preference. Be a yogic explorer. Try it both ways and see what feels best.

My hope is that the heat isn’t a form of asceticism or self-denial. I don’t think I’m doing it just to suffer. Although as far as suffering goes, there are far worse things in yoga classes!

Namaste,


Dean

No comments:

Post a Comment